Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Proper Architects

I know I said this blog wasn't going to be all about me me me me, but I don't see how I could write about things that I've never had experience with. 

I had a faux job interview today at an architecture firm.  The firm was not hiring, but they offered to give me an interview so I could get the experience.  It was a small firm, only seven architects plus the owner/principal and the receptionist, and I got there twenty minutes early, which I suppose is better than twenty minutes late.

When I met with the owner, he asked about what I was looking to be as a designer, which is a common way to start off an interview.  We looked at my portfolio, and I told him about some of my projects - he hadn't heard of a parti and I wonder if it's actually a common thing in the architecture world or just school - and we talked about projects that his firm works on. 

He spoke about how the main difference between residential houses and commercial buildings is the attitude toward money.  They do a few car dealerships throughout the year, along with other corporate buildings, and only one or two residential houses.  When they build for corporations, they are asked to design less to keep the cost down.  When they are hired by home builders, they are expected to design everything down to the furniture and then are asked to pick out art and bath towels.  While residences are fun to design, he admits that there is little profit in it, which is why they stick mostly to commercial designs - they pay better although they aren't as rewarding.

He cautioned against speaking too much about college projects, as they are nothing like the real world, which I understand.   He said when he hires he needs someone with AutoCAD experience and would like to find someone who knows html, photography, and quick 3d rendering programs - all of which I have, so yay for me!

Overall, I feel that the interview went well, I didn't stumble too much on my words and I think I know what I would like to become as a designer - passively designing residential houses with an emphasis on structure.  Unfortunately only 5% of what I need to know will I be taught in school, the rest comes from experience. 

No comments:

Post a Comment