Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Pierogi!


The boy and I moved into a new apartment (with a small kitchen) last week and, after spending two days unpacking, I decided to take things easy. This means I have done nothing but read for the past two days, which was wonderful. Today, however, I decided to be productive, so I tried to make pierogi. For those who don't know, pierogi is a type of Polish dumpling filled with (in my case) potato-y goodness.  


Recipe adapted from AllRecipes 
(This made me about 75 pierogis)


Potato Filling:
2 tbs butter
1 cup minced onions
4 cups (2 lbs) potatoes (mashed)
4 tsp white pepper salt (or 2 tsp white pepper, 2 tsp salt)

Dough:
3 eggs
8 oz sour cream
3 cups flour
1/4 tsp salt
1 tbs baking powder


I found it easier to make the filling first because I wanted it to be room temperature.  To make the filling, melt the butter in a frying pan over medium-low heat and add the onions.  Sauté the onions until they are transparent and golden.  Add them to the mashed potatoes and sprinkle salt and pepper to taste. I initially thought I had used too much seasoning in the filling, but, once the dough was wrapped around it, it turned out to be fine.


To make the dough mix the eggs and sour cream until the mixture is smooth.  At this point I added the salt and baking powder, but if you don't mind using two bowls, sift the salt and baking powder into the three cups of flour (also sifted).  Make sure that all dry ingredients are sifted before they go into the egg mixture because you do not want any lumps.  Mix the dry mixture into the egg mixture well.


My dough at this point was very sticky, which might have to do with how I measured the flour (I sifted the flour into the measuring cup rather than measuring the flour and then sifting it - if someone else tries it another way, please let me know).   Since the dough was so sticky, it just meant that I needed to use more flour on the counter while I was kneading it -  at this point you need to knead the dough until it is firm.  Roll the dough out really thin (I did this in four batches because I have very little space in my new kitchen), but not thin enough that it will tear it you pick it up off the counter.


Cut out 3" circles (I used the top of a glass which was probably more of a 2.5" circle) and place a small ball of the filling in the middle of the circle of dough.  Wet the bottom, inside edge of the dough, fold it over, and press the two edges together with a fork.


Place the completed pierogis on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.  Once you have a sheet of pierogis, you can either cook them, stick them in the fridge to cook soon, or stick them in the freezer to cook much later.  I did all three.  I froze 2/3 of the pierogis to save later (if you do this, keep them on the baking sheet till they are frozen and then, and only then, transfer them to a freezer bag).  I stuck 1/6 of the pierogis in the fridge for the boy to eat for dinner tonight or for me to eat for lunch tomorrow; and I cooked the last 1/6.


There are a few ways to cook the pierogis, and I don't actually know which is best.  You can boil the pierogis, you can sauté the pierogis, or you can boil and then sauté the pierogis.  I did the later.  I've had store bought pierogis and having them sautéed in butter was too delicious not to try on my own (please note how I've used the word sauté rather than fry, it sounds so much healthier).  I've read places that when you boil the pierogis, you know when they're done when they float to the top of the water.  I am not sure how true this is because my pierogis floated to the top of the water as soon as I placed them in the pot, and I'm assuming that they weren't done at that point.  Instead I let them boil for about three minutes.


After they boiled, I transferred them to my frying pan with less than a tablespoon of butter to brown the sides. And then I ate them!

No comments:

Post a Comment